Cahill Strategies has developed a comprehensive guide to NYC DOB’s new Chapter 33 building code revisions, and we want you to have it in your back pocket!
These revisions, affecting dozens of the most important NYC DOB regulations regarding “Safeguards During Construction and Demolition,” touch on nearly every aspect of the construction process in New York City. And now, since its November 7th effective date, the NYC DOB will expect you to know, understand and comply with every rule that applies to your project.
Thankfully, Cahill’s construction solutions team has analyzed and clarified the most important revisions. Our Director of Construction Code & Safety, Bobby D’Alessio is himself a former Senior Executive Director and 30-year veteran of the NYC DOB and has served on the very committee that developed these revisions.
Every chapter in our guide shows you “the code you know” and how it was revised, along with a brief synopsis of the revision and why it’s important to your job.
The new Chapter 33 construction code revisions cover the following areas:
- Manufacturer specifications, design, and capacity
- Safeguards and Maintenance of the Site
- Soil and foundation work
- Material placement and installation
- Protection of pedestrians
- Unenclosed perimeter protection
- Protection of adjoining property
- Requirements for the construction or demolition of major buildings
If you’re doing construction work in New York City, any one of these areas is part of your day-to-day.
This Complimentary Booklet is Yours to Review!
If you are already on our Construction Solutions email alert list, simply email us at email@example.com, and we’ll send the guide to you right away!
If you’re not on our list, you need to sign up to receive this guide – plus – you’ll receive our timely and comprehensive construction alerts day to day as they happen.
Sign Up to Receive Your Complimentary Chapter 33 Building Code Review
Here at Cahill Strategies, we assist developers, owners, general contractors and other industry stakeholders to understand the intricacies of the New York City code. We solve problems in this area every single day.
Follow us on our LinkedIn Page, Sign up for our email updates below.
You can find the Chapter 33 Safeguards During Construction OR Demolition General Section here…
You can find Local Law 126, authorizing the revisions of these building codes here…
# # #
A Note About the effective dates of the 2022 New York City Building Code, Chapter 33, Safeguards During Construction or Demolition:
- The effective date of the 2022 Building Code (Local Law 126 of 2021) is November 7, 2022.
- Buildings Bulletin 2022-007 (Building Bulletins 2022 – Buildings governs when an application is subject to the 2022 codes vs prior codes.
- For Chapter 33/Safeguards During Construction or Demolition, the trigger date for jobs requiring a Site Safety Plan (SSP) is the approval date of the SSP.
- For jobs NOT requiring a SSP submission or not requiring a SSP at all, the trigger date is the submission date of the underlying work application (new building, alteration, etc).
- For phased SSP submissions, at least one complete phase (such as the foundation phase of a multi-phase project) must be approved before 11/07/22 to vest under the 2014 codes.
- Application submissions must be “substantially” complete, meaning, no incomplete “place holder” filings should be submitted for the sole purpose of vesting under a prior code.
- For temporary construction equipment, including fences, sidewalk sheds, scaffolds, cranes, chutes, etc., the trigger date is the date of submission of the temporary construction equipment application.
New York Construction Solutions
Cahill Strategies has experience representing large general contractors, construction management firms, owners, and developers. A key to our success is our vast network of decision makers that we have the ability to reach on your behalf. Additionally, our team is involved in the legislative and regulatory processes at the Federal, State, and Local levels which affect the construction industry in New York State, New York City, and surrounding regions. We possess the knowledge of industry standards and trends, along with key relationships that will bring your projects to fruition. Read more…